Tuesday, September 26, 2023

The Ingredients for Change

As so often God does, I was moved by the words of a song today. And as a song often does, it spoke to current life circumstances. I have often said over the years "well, so and so will never do anything unless forced." Or "you know that person will never change unless God makes them." Well, you know what? Turns out I should stop pointing fingers because I, too, am guilty of such stubborness. Sometimes life lines up changes like an arrow on a bow. Sometimes the changes make sense and sometimes they leave you scratching your head. Have you had this experience? But every time a change is right, God gives peace. This has been the hard lesson for me. Many times I have made a change in my own strength, my own timing, my own way. But not this time. This time God will lead and guide every step of the way. 

Let me give you those precious lyrics:

Just for me, many doors you've closed
Just for me, Sometimes you will say no
So I'll be tested in your fire to purify my desires
So my blesssings won't be just for me. 
So caught up in myself I couldn't see
The world did not revolve around me
So storms are in your will
So I can feel what others feel 
Their needs, if I could speak honestly

It don't feel good. But growing never does
It don't seem fair for you to call this love
But if necessary pain is the ingredient for change
Even when life may be bittersweet...it's working

Just for me. All the moments I missed
That were just for me. Because I chose not to wait patiently
Before every mistake was the same amount of grace
That kept my blessing waiting just for me
But trust in your timing is not easy
And what I want's not always what I need
Somewhere I forgot You are God and I am not

("Just for Me" Kirk Franklin)

See, God knows what it's going to take to make us move. Sometimes it's the unfathomable loss of a loved one. Or maybe a humbling so strong you will never forget. Perhaps you just had enough of a certain behavior and learned to stand up for yourself. God has used finances and struggles to get my attention at times. And several times an unmistakeable wave of "aha" has washed over me so big it was like Jesus Himself was giving me a heart hug. Whatever the case is, lean in. Listen to Jesus. He loves us. He knows us. And there is growing in the waiting. In the listening. In the doing. Be blessed today all.

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth Does not become tired or grow weary; There is no searching of His understanding. He gives strength to the weary, And to him who has no might He increases power. Even youths grow weary and tired, And vigorous young men stumble badly, But those who wait for the Lord [who expect, look for, and hope in Him] Will gain new strength and renew their power; They will lift up their wings [and rise up close to God] like eagles [rising toward the sun]; They will run and not become weary, They will walk and not grow tired.
Isaiah 40:28‭-‬31 AMP

Trust in and rely confidently on the Lord with all your heart And do not rely on your own insight or understanding. In all your ways know and acknowledge and recognize Him, And He will make your paths straight and smooth [removing obstacles that block your way]. Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord [with reverent awe and obedience] and turn [entirely] away from evil.
Proverbs 3:5‭-‬7 AMP

I would have despaired had I not believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord In the land of the living. Wait for and confidently expect the Lord; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for and confidently expect the Lord.
Psalms 27:13‭-‬14 AMP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Divine Timing

I have told the story of a vision I had of myself inside brick walls. Tall, thick, high, complex, castle-like fortress walls. Built to prote...