Sometimes God puts people in your path to hold a mirror up to you. And sometimes what you see is painful! I am aware that I have previously blogged about healing and giving grace to yourself. There is a time for that. But healing doesn't always look smooth and easy. Sometimes it's messy and hard to sit in. Ecclesiastes 3 says there is a season for everything. So here we go!
Today I was reflecting on relationships I had as a child. Do you remember how that went? I do. I would strike up a friendship with a neighbor kid, or a kid at the pool, or someone at school, or at the beach...we would play for hours on end, non stop, dawn to dusk, anything and everything. And then there was a fight. You took my toy, you made me feel left out, you said something mean, etc. Then there was an argument, and then what? Then we were right back playing again. Strife forgotten, offense forgiven, because the time with that other person was short and the relationship was too important to let a silly fight get in the way.
So why can't we do that for each other as adults? Is it because we are "older and wiser"? Or because childhood relationships are not like real life? Or is it because we have become hard and wounded? Putting up defense mechanisms because pain hurts? And we all know hurt people hurt people. Why do we hold onto these things that are so damaging to others and ourselves? These mechanisms that keep everyone at arm's length? Here's what I think: because they're comfortable. They're familiar. They're the well worn path.
What is that saying? If you do what you've always done, you're going to get what you always got. Right? God has often given me a machete to cut new paths through the wilderness of my thinking, my circumstances, my relationships, and my view of Him. A new path that brings about change. The thing about that is this: it's hard work!! And it takes a lot of faith. You don't always know what direction you're going and you're afraid the blade is getting dull, and you can't see, and you're getting scratched up, and you just want to give up sometimes. But when you reach your destination you realize why the work was so important. Thank you Jesus!! It is worth it!
So I'm allowing people to help shape me and show me my faults. To let them tell me their perception and their experiences of me...and boy does it hurt sometimes. But you know what? Jesus is my balm of Gilead. My comfort. My strength and my truth. The Word of God is my sword. With my armor on and my spiritual first aid kit available, I am opening my arms wide...allowing myself to be shaped by the Master. Sometimes by people, sometimes by the Potter Himself. Today's a new day! Let's pitter patter.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.
Exodus 15:26 If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the Lord thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the Lord that healeth thee.
A lotus is known for being pure and unsullied despite the muddy, murky circumstances of its origin. It represents new beginnings, resurrection, rebirth, and wisdom. May it be so with the Lord Jesus Christ.
Monday, September 11, 2023
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Divine Timing
I have told the story of a vision I had of myself inside brick walls. Tall, thick, high, complex, castle-like fortress walls. Built to prote...
-
Stop Asking God To Change It Have you ever had such a silly thought come to your mind that changed everything? (And you kinda feel dumb but ...
-
Today as I sat to spend time with Jesus I felt anxious. Unable to relax. Unfocused. My mind was a whir of activity. So I started to pay atte...
-
I have told the story of a vision I had of myself inside brick walls. Tall, thick, high, complex, castle-like fortress walls. Built to prote...
No comments:
Post a Comment